Vischer Ferry in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Built 1842 during enlarge-
ment of Erie Canal. Far
chamber lengthened 1885.
Erected by Clifton Park Bicentennial Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Erie Canal marker series.
Location. 42° 47.161′ N, 73° 49.249′ W. Marker is in Vischer Ferry, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker can be reached from Ferry Drive. Touch for map. The lock is in the Vischer Ferry Nature and Historic Preserve, and can be reached after a brisk 15 minute walk from the parking area at the end of Ferry Drive. Marker is in this post office area: Rexford NY 12148, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Amity Reformed Church (approx. ¾ mile away); The Ferry Road Bridge & Its Surroundings… A Brief History (approx. 0.8 miles away); Welcome to the Colonie Mohawk-Hudson Bike-Hike Path (approx. 0.8 miles away); Erie Canal (approx. 1.3 miles away); Whipple Iron Truss Bridge (approx. 1.3 miles away); Cast Iron Whipple Truss Bridge, 1869 Best House (approx. 1.8 miles away); Clutes Dry Dock (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vischer Ferry.
Regarding Lock 19. Lock 19, a double chamber lock, was constructed in 1842 to replace Lock 32, a single chamber lock built at this site in 1822. (The 1825 canal locks were not numbered consecutively from East to West like the enlarged Erie, they started numbering from the beginning in Rome.) The stonework was quarried in Rotterdam Junction. In 1885 the chamber on the berm side was lengthened. In 1875 an average of 95 boats-a-day entered Lock 19 during the 197 days the canal was open that year.
Also see . . . Historic Erie Canal Lock 19 Footbridge Opened in Clifton Park. Reprint from Canalway Trail Times (Submitted on April 24, 2014, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 22, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 497 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 22, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 7. submitted on March 29, 2013, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 8. submitted on September 23, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.