Near Vischer Ferry in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Whipple Iron Truss Bridge
Gift of the Citizens of Montgomery County
Originally built by Squire Whipple across the Enlarged Erie Canal at Sprakers in 1869
This type of bridge was adopted by the Canal Commissioners in the 1850s as the standard iron bridge to cross the Canal
Moved to Fonda, NY across the Cayudatta Creek in 1919
Rehabilitated and constructed by Dr. Francis E. Griggs, Jr., the students, faculty and friends of Union College and the Town of Clifton Park
Stone work for the abutments is from the Rexford Aqueduct
Plaque Gift of Clough, Harbour Associates LLP
Erected 1998 by Clough, Harbour Associates LLP.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Erie Canal marker series.
Location. 42° 47.567′ N, 73° 47.769′ W. Marker is near Vischer Ferry, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is on Riverview Road just from Van Vranken Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rexford NY 12148, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Erie Canal (a few steps from this marker); Cast Iron Whipple Truss Bridge, 1869 (within Clutes Dry Dock (approx. one mile away); Lock 19 (approx. 1.3 miles away); Amity Reformed Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Best House (approx. 2.1 miles away); Boght Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Boght (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vischer Ferry.
More about this marker. The stacked plank construction of the wall on which the plaques are mounted is a sample of the decking currently in place on the bridge.
Also see . . . Squire Whipple. (Submitted on September 23, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 347 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 23, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.