Near Vischer Ferry in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Cast Iron Whipple Truss Bridge, 1869
Many wooden farmers' bridges providing access to farm land divided by the canal were also of the Whipple truss design. The canal packet boats would barely clear these bridges and passengers warned of an upcoming bridge would need to duck or get down from the top deck: hence the cry of a popular song "Low Bridge, Everybody Down." These wooden bridges are gone now, and all that remain are some of the stone abutments.
Squire Whipple, sometimes called "the father of iron bridges," patented his iron truss bridge in 1841. It became a standard design for iron bridges built in the second half of the nineteenth century. This bridge has the date "1869" cast into the top of each bow.
Marker series. Erie Canal marker series.
Location. 42° 47.578′ N, 73° 47.741′ W. Marker is near Vischer Ferry, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is on Riverview Road just from Van Vranken Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rexford NY 12148, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Whipple Iron Truss Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Erie Canal (within shouting distance of this marker); Clutes Dry Dock (approx. one mile away); Lock 19 (approx. 1.4 miles away); Amity Reformed Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Best House (approx. 2.1 miles away); Boght Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Boght (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vischer Ferry.
Also see . . . Squire Whipple. (Submitted on September 26, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
Additional keywords. Cayuduta Creek
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 357 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 23, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.