Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Endview

 
 
Endview Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, June 26, 2012
1. Endview Marker
Inscription. This traditional farmhouse was probably built for William Harwood around 1769. His great grandson, Dr. Humphrey Harwood Curtis, acquired the plantation in 1858. In May 1861, Dr. Curtis organized the Warwick Beauregards (Company H, 32d Virginia Volunteer Infantry Regiment) and commanded them until May 1862. Confederate Generals Lafayette McLaws and Robert Tombs used Endview as their headquarters during the early stages of the 1862 Peninsula Campaign. Union regiments camped here as part of the Federal occupation of nearby Yorktown. Dr. Curtis regained possession of Endview (also called Curtis Farm) after the Civil War and his descendants continued to live here until 1985.
 
Erected 2005 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number W-230.)
 
Location. 37° 12.766′ N, 76° 34.262′ W. Marker is in Newport News, Virginia. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 414 Yorktown Road, Newport News VA 23603, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Endview (here, next to this marker); Lebanon Church (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Lebanon Church (a few
Endview Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, June 26, 2012
2. Endview Marker
steps from this marker); Aviation Field Yorktown (a few steps from this marker); The Dairy Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Endview Spring (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lee Hall (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport News.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 24, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 401 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 24, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement