Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Accompanied by his daughter, Winnie Davis, "the Daughter of the Confederacy." Mr. Davis arrived in Savannah, May 3, 1886. He was escorted from Atlanta by a committee of Savannahians consisting of Hugh M. Comer, J. H. Estill, J. K. Garnett, George A. Mercer, J. R. Saussy, and Gen. G. Moxley Sorrel. The trip to Savannah has been described as a "continous ovation."
The occasion of the visit of Jefferson Davis was the celebration of the centennial of the Chatham Artillery, one of the oldest and most distinguished military units in the United States. During his stay in Savannah the former President of the Confederacy received tributes of respect and affection from the local citizenry , visiting military organizations as well as from the thousands of visitors who attended the centennial festivities.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 4.289′ N, 81° 5.707′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Bull Street and Taylor Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located in Monterey Square. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pulaski Monument (a few steps from this marker); Casimir Pulaski (within shouting distance of this marker); Congregation Mickve Israel (within shouting distance of this marker); Armstrong Junior College (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Former Home of Henry R. Jackson (about 400 feet away); Savannah's Marine Corps Memorial (about 500 feet away); Jepson House Education Center (about 500 feet away); Georgia Historical Society (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 5, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,545 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 26, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2. submitted on March 5, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3. submitted on October 6, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 4. submitted on November 13, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on March 5, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 6. submitted on October 6, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.