St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Francis Barracks
The coquina buildings, known for years as the St. Francis Barracks, were used as military housing by the British from 1763 to 1783, by the Spanish, 1783-1821, and then by the United States. In 1907, the property was leased to the State of Florida for its military headquarters. The main building was gutted by fire in 1915, but the coquina walls were unharmed.
In 1921, by act of Congress, the St. Francis Barracks were turned over to the State of Florida.
Today the Barracks and the military reservation house the Headquarters, Military Department, State of Florida, and Headquarters, Florida National Guard.
Location. 29° 53.276′ N, 81° 18.598′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker is at the intersection of St Francis Street and Charlotte Street, on the left when traveling west on St Francis Street. Touch for map. The marker was located on Charlotte street,
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gonzalez-Alvarez House (a few steps from this marker); Tovar House (within shouting distance of this marker); Llambias House (within shouting distance of this marker); Fernandez-Llambias House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Garcia-Dummett House (about 400 feet away); Major Dade and His Command Monuments (about 600 feet away); The Oldest Presbyterian Church in Florida (about 700 feet away); Dade Pyramids (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Also see . . .
1. Florida State National Guard Headquarters. St. Francis Barracks: Frontier Monastery to State Arsenal (Submitted on March 6, 2008, by David Anderson of Middletown, New Jersey.)
2. Wikipedia entry for Coquina. The St. Francis Barracks is made from a native Florida limestone called Coquina. (Submitted on March 6, 2008, by David Anderson of Middletown, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Military • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 6, 2008, by David Anderson of Middletown, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 3,193 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 6, 2008, by David Anderson of Middletown, New Jersey. 2. submitted on September 27, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on September 18, 2014, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. 4. submitted on September 23, 2014, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.