Near Blackwood in Gordon County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Built in 1821 by Joseph Crutchfield, and sold to the Moravians in 1822, this house was an active church and educational center for Cherokee adults and children. Gambold died Nov. 9, 1827. He was followed by J.R. Schimidt (1827-28), Franz Eder (1828~29), and Henry G. Clauder (1828~38). Clauder served Moravian Cherokee for 6 years after white people occupied this building in 1833, following the Georgia land lottery of 1832.
Erected 1959 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 064-28.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 34° 26.81′ N, 84° 54.871′ W. Marker was near Blackwood, Georgia, in Gordon County. Marker was on Belwood Road 1.6 miles south of Georgia Route 53, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Adairsville GA 30103, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of Oothcaloga Valley (approx. 2.4 miles away); Richard Peters Plantation (approx. 2.5 miles away); Cherokee Nation (approx. 2.6 miles away); Site of the Robert C. Saxon House (approx. 3.4 miles away); Original Site Adairsville — 1830’s (approx. 3.6 miles away); Historic Liberty Cumberland Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.8 miles away); Liberty Church Grounds (approx. 3.8 miles away); Gordon County (approx. 4.4 miles away).
More about this marker. There is construction work on Belwood Road in late 2012, possibly to widen the road, and the marker has been removed.
Also see . . . Photograph of Oothcaloga Moravian Mission. The mission building burned many years ago. This link contains a photo of the mission. (Submitted on September 3, 2008.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 2, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,679 times since then and 24 times this year. Last updated on October 3, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1. submitted on September 2, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on October 3, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.