Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Paulís Greek Orthodox Church
This building was constructed in 1897-98 as a memorial to General Alexander R. Lawton (1818-96)and his daughter, Corinne (1844-77). It was used as a public space for cultural, educational and civic purposes until the 1930s. After serving in the Georgia House of Representatives and as president of Georgia and Atlantic Railroad, Lawton served as Brigadier General and Quartermaster-General of the Confederacy, as ambassador to Austria- Hungary, and as fifth president of the American Bar Association. Chartered in 1907, St. Paulís Greek Orthodox Church acquired the building as its sanctuary in 1941.
Erected 2001 by The Georgia Historical Society and St. Paulís Greek Orthodox Church. (Marker Number 25-6.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 3.743′ N, 81° 5.901′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is at the intersection of Bull Street and West Anderson, on the right when traveling south on Bull Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14 West Anderson, Savannah GA 31401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mother Mathilda Beasley, O.S.F. The Georgia Volunteer (approx. 0.2 miles away); British Evacuation (approx. 0.2 miles away); Birthplace of Eighth Air Force (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint Phillips Monumental A.M.E. Church (approx. ľ mile away); Georgia Infirmary (approx. 0.3 miles away); Nina Anderson Pape (approx. 0.3 miles away); Francis Bartow (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Another marker referencing Lawton.
Also see . . . Alexander Lawton. (Submitted on March 6, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 6, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,730 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on August 27, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2, 3. submitted on March 6, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.