Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Waukesha in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

New Tribes Bible Institute

(Resthaven)

 
 
New Tribes Bible Institute Marker image. Click for full size.
By Linda Hansen, October 6, 2012
1. New Tribes Bible Institute Marker
(Resthaven)
Inscription. Prior to any white settlers moving into this area, this large hill was the site of an Indian Village. The first building was a residence and nursery in the 1850s, later known as Hickory Grove Villa. After years of delay, Resthaven, a palatial retreat, opened on July 22, 1909.

In May 1912, a fire damaged a portion of the hotel and it wasn't reopened until May, 1913. Ownership changed hands several times and financial problems resulted in Resthaven closing completely just prior to WWI. In 1919, the U.S. Government purchased the building to be used as a hospital for injured returning veterans. In October 1925, the focus changed again from a hospital for veterans to one for the general public. It closed again in the 1930s only to reopen as a housing facility for veterans. In 1943, it became a hospital for TB patients and after financial problems and a decrease in patients, Resthaven was closed permanently on October 1, 1958.

In April, 1963, the Resthaven building was sold to New Tribes Bible Institute, a nondenominational group that trains Christian workers for ministry in foreign countries. NTBI has owned this building for more years than any previous tenant. In the 1980s, the building was designated a local landmark by the Waukesha Landmarks Commission for its historical restoration.
 
Erected
New Tribes Bible Institute Marker image. Click for full size.
By William H. Roth, August 3, 2013
2. New Tribes Bible Institute Marker
2012 by Waukesha County Historical Society and Museum. (Marker Number 34-21.)
 
Location. 43° 0.763′ N, 88° 13.293′ W. Marker is in Waukesha, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker is on North Hartwell Avenue north of Arcadian Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 915 N Hartwell Ave, Waukesha WI 53186, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Silurian Spring (approx. 0.2 miles away); Courthouse Square (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Waukesha Freeman (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rotunda (approx. half a mile away); Waukesha Civic Theatre (WCT) (approx. half a mile away); American Legion Home (approx. half a mile away); Hobo Spring (was approx. half a mile away but has been reported permanently removed. ); Cohn's Shoe Store (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waukesha.
 
Also see . . .  Started as a posh resort, Resthaven later served vets. (Submitted on March 21, 2013.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.War, World IWar, World II
 
New Tribes Bible Institute image. Click for full size.
By Linda Hansen, October 6, 2012
3. New Tribes Bible Institute
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 10, 2012, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 765 times since then and 85 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 10, 2012, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin.   2. submitted on August 15, 2013, by William H. Roth of Deltona, Florida.   3. submitted on October 10, 2012, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement