Wallisville in Chambers County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Mission Nuestra Senora de la Luz del Orcoquisac and Presidio San Agustin de Ahumada
The two friars who were to minister to members of the Orcoquisac tribe arrived shortly after the 30 soldiers who were to man the fort. Soon, however, the elder friar died. The younger, asking to be relieved of his duties, complained vividly of biting insects, extremes of heat and cold, and the thick and stinking water in the lake near the lonely mission.
The 50 families who were to establish a town at the site never arrived, and although valiant efforts were made at improvement, conditions instead became worse. A woeful lack of training among the soldiers sparked unrest among the Indians. Meager supplies of food, clothing, and ammunition were the rule, and some commanders treated their men with great cruelty.
In 1767, an official inspector reported that due to the terrain, discord among the staff, and failure to convert the Indians, the presidio and mission should be closed. In 1771, fearing an invasion of Apaches, the authorities withdrew the personnel, and these two remote outposts of Spain were totally abandoned.
Erected 1970 by Texas Historical Commission
Location. 29° 50.302′ N, 94° 44.18′ W. Marker is in Wallisville, Texas, in Chambers County. Marker is on Feeder Road to Interstate 10 0.3 miles west of Wallisville Liberty Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker may be visible from Interstate-10 but best viewed from the eastbound feeder road. Marker is in this post office area: Wallisville TX 77597, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Joseph Blancpain's French Trading Post (here, next to this marker); Mission Nuestra Señora de la Luz (here, next to this marker); Site of Old Wallisville (within shouting distance of this marker); Turtle Bayou Resolutions (approx. 5 miles away); Chambers County Youth Project Show (approx. 5.2 miles away); Fort Anahuac (approx. 6.4 miles away); Robert McAlpin Williamson (approx. 6.4 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Anahuac (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wallisville.
Also see . . .
1. A Report on this Mission and Area by University of Texas Archeology (pdf file). (Submitted on October 15, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. The Mission in The Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on October 15, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
3. Article on the Mission by Stephen F. Austin University Heritage. (Submitted on October 15, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
4. El Orcoquisac in The Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on October 15, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 15, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 607 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 15, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.