Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clear Spring in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Miller's Tavern & Spickler's Buggy Factory

Surreys, Stagecoaches and Tin Lizzies

 
 
Miller's Tavern & Spickler's Buggy Factory Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, October 19, 2012
1. Miller's Tavern & Spickler's Buggy Factory Marker
Inscription. The Miller Hotel was one of the most popular destinations along the National Road in Washington County. Traveler T.B. Seabright recalled in 1894 “There were large rooms adapted to dancing purposes, and young men and maidens of the vicinity frequently tripped to the notes of old time music in its spacious halls…The old Wagoners engaged in these festivities with gusto….”

National Road travelers also came to this area to upgrade their means of transportation. Nearby, the Spickler’s Buggy Factory developed rubber-tired buggies, improved horse-drawn sleighs, and later was the site of the first automobile dealer in Washington County.

Lewis Spickler, inventor and entrepreneur “My Father had a tent at the Hagerstown Fair and showed the first rubber-tired buggy in Washington County.”

Elizabeth Herbert, daughter of inventor Lewis Spickler. Lewis Spickler invented a new model horse-drawn sleigh in 1868 at his father’s blacksmith ship The filing in the U.S. Patent office explained the improvements. “The draught is less. The sleigh is less likely to overturn. The horse does not strike his heels against any portion of the sleigh…The snow from the horse’s feet is thrown under the sleigh, instead of into the faces of the occupants….The sleigh is more easily drawn through snow drifts.”
Miller's Tavern & Spickler's Buggy Factory Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, October 19, 2012
2. Miller's Tavern & Spickler's Buggy Factory Marker

 
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Historic National Road marker series.
 
Location. 39° 39.498′ N, 77° 52.014′ W. Marker is in Clear Spring, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is on National Pike (U.S. 40). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clear Spring MD 21722, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gettysburg Campaign (here, next to this marker); “The Bank Road” (approx. half a mile away); Wilson’s Store (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 0.8 miles away); Wilson Bridge (approx. 1.1 miles away); a different marker also named Wilson Bridge (approx. 1.1 miles away); Capt. Samuel G. Prather (approx. 2.7 miles away); A Road Nurtures A Vision (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clear Spring.
 
More about this marker. The marker is .18 miles east of Spickler Road on the National Pike and is on the grounds of the Miller's Farmstead.
 
Categories. Roads & Vehicles
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 26, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 335 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 26, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement