Wichita in Sedgwick County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
This site, originally platted in December, 1870, dates back to Wichita's early development with the establishment of the Wichita & Southwestern Railroad, later absorbed by the Santa Fe System. The railroad was completed at Wichita in May, 1872 and the town's commercial enterprises responded by "reaching out to it", thus developing Douglas Avenue to this location. The Stock Pens, three blocks to the southeast, were visible from this point. From there thousands of cattle were shipped to the Eastern markets from the Chisholm Trail. The original depot was located on the north side of Douglas Avenue where the overpass is today. In 1883, a mule-drawn streetcar system was established along Douglas Avenue terminating at the depot. The "drummers" (hotel runners), who rode the cars were always trying to outdo each other by hollering the virtues of their respective hotels to passengers on the cars. The slow-moving cars passed this location on Douglas Avenue. Two "fancy" hotels of note were adjacent to this land. The Carey, larger of the two, was located across the street west, with the Tremont across the street south on William Street. St. Francis was originally named Fourth Avenue, later changed to Tremont after the historic hotel. After the Tremont was razed, a "Red Light" District began to flourish along Tremont Avenue from the railroad
Erected 1979 by City of Wichita.
Location. 37° 41.15′ N, 97° 19.888′ W. Marker is in Wichita, Kansas, in Sedgwick County. Marker is at the intersection of Douglas Avenue and St. Francis Street, on the right when traveling east on Douglas Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is on the entrance gate to Naftzger Memorial Park. Marker is in this post office area: Wichita KS 67202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Maurice Clifton Naftzger (here, next to this marker); The Eaton Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Hauser Garrison Dry Goods Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); McCormick Harvester Building (about 600 feet away); College Hill Streetcar No. 230 (about 600 feet away); Commercial / Residential Buildings (approx. F. G. & C. H. Smyth & Sons Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Walterscheid Pump Factory & Machine Shop Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wichita.
Also see . . . Naftzger Memorial Park, Wichita. (Submitted on October 27, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 27, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 233 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 27, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.