Near Marfa in Presidio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Milton Faver Ranches
Faver's three ranches--El Fortin del Cibolo, El Fortin de la Cienega, and La Morita--comprised the largest single-owner landholdings in the county. Structures on the ranches, including dwellings, work rooms, fences, corrals, and irrigation systems, were built with traditional adobe and stone building methods. Census and tax records show that Faver owned the largest livestock herds in the county in the late 19th century.
Following the deaths of Milton Faver in 1889, his wife Francisca in 1893, and his son Juan in 1913, and after a lawsuit, the ranchlands were sold by the Faver heirs. Other pioneer ranching families in the area, including George and Juliana Dawson (niece of Francisca Faver), and J.A. Pool, Sr. and J.W. Pool and their heirs, the Greenwood family, operated ranches on the former Faver lands until the late 20th Century.
Erected 1995 by Texas Historical
Location. 29° 52.927′ N, 104° 16.567′ W. Marker is near Marfa, Texas, in Presidio County. Marker is on U.S. 67 26.7 miles south of Ranch to Market Road 169, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is about 34 miles south of Marfa and 25 miles north of Presidio. Marker is in this post office area: Marfa TX 79843, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Milton Faver (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named Milton Faver (approx. 5 miles away); Brooks Cemetery (approx. 5.2 miles away).
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Categories. • Agriculture • Animals •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 4, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 305 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 4, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 3. submitted on September 5, 2017, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.