Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Alpine in Brewster County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Our Lady of Peace Catholic Church

 
 
Our Lady of Peace Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 24, 2012
1. Our Lady of Peace Catholic Church Marker
Inscription. The present church building was dedicated on January 6, 1943, by Rev. Sidney M. Metzger, Bishop of El Paso. Construction began in 1941 under Father Francis Juaniz with members of the parish donating over $10,000. Contributions by the Catholic Extension Society contributed to the success of the project. D.E. Bond, a contractor from Pecos, Texas, built the church using local labor and native stone. Members of the parish brought seashells, fossils, and decorative stone which were placed in the church fašade. In November, 2002, the parish celebrated its centennial anniversary.

The nearby Grotto was dedicated on October 16, 1949, by the parishioners to Our Lady of Peace as a sign of their devotion and a hopeful prayer for the conversion of Russia.
The Archives of Big Bend
Bryan Wildenthal Memorial Library

 
Erected by Sul Ross State University.
 
Location. 30° 21.286′ N, 103° 39.624′ W. Marker is in Alpine, Texas, in Brewster County. Marker is at the intersection of West Gallego Avenue and South 5th Street, on the right when traveling east on West Gallego Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in the sidewalk on the southwest corner. Marker is in this post office area: Alpine TX 79830, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Our Lady of Peace Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 24, 2012
2. Our Lady of Peace Catholic Church Marker
Marker is in the sidewalk.
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Our Lady of Peace (a few steps from this marker); Nuestra Se˝ora de Guadalupe (a few steps from this marker); Garcia-Valadez House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ritchey Hotel (about 700 feet away); John R. Holland (approx. 0.2 miles away); Holland Hotel Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); This Enduring Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); Gage-Van Sickle (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alpine.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Our Lady of Peace Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 24, 2012
3. Our Lady of Peace Catholic Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 14, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 284 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 14, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement