Fort Davis in Jeff Davis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
San Antonio-El Paso Road
Henry Skillman (1814-1864) began a courier service along the road in 1850 and was awarded a U.S. Government contract to carry the mail. He formed a partnership with George H. Giddings (1823-1902) in 1854, and they established relay stations along the route, including one at the new U.S. Army Post at Fort Davis.
During the Civil War, control of the area passed to the Confederates, and Giddings continued mail service for the new government.
By 1867 Fort Davis was occupied by four companies of the 9th U.S. Cavalry. After Federal reoccupation, stage and courier routes were more frequently utilized, with travelers often accompanied by Army escorts from Fort Davis and other posts.
After the arrival of railroads in West Texas in the 1880s, use of overland roads declined sharply, though the trails did provide access to new settlers and were still used by the army as links between forts. Vestiges of the Old San Antonio-El Paso Overland Road can still be seen in Fort Davis and surrounding areas.
Marker series. This marker is included in the San Antonio-El Paso Road marker series.
Location. 30° 35.639′ N, 103° 53.543′ W. Marker is in Fort Davis, Texas, in Jeff Davis County. Marker is at the intersection of Fort Street and 3rd Street, on the right when traveling south on Fort Street. Touch for map. Marker is on the southwest corner. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Davis TX 79734, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Davis (approx. 0.2 miles away); The First Fort Davis (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Joseph Catholic Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Hotel Limpia (approx. 0.4 miles away); Union Mercantile (approx. 0.4 miles away); T/SGT. Manuel S. Gonzales (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Fort Davis CSA (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jeff Davis County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Davis.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 18, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 391 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 18, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 4. submitted on November 22, 2015, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.