Fort Oglethorpe in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
1st Regiment & 18th Battalion Tennessee Cavalry
—Armstrong's Division —
1st Regiment & 18th Battalion
11: A.M. September 20, 1863
Erected 1898 by the State of Tennessee. (Marker Number MT-1372.)
Location. 34° 57.1′ N, 85° 15.587′ W. Marker is in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Lafayette Road and Coffman Drive, on the right when traveling south on Old Lafayette Road. Touch for map. This historic marker is located on residential property, near the southwest corner of the intersection, and where this road runs just west and parallel to the new Lafayette Road for a couple of blocks, and just south of Battlefield Parkway (State Route 2). According to the location information provided by the National Park Service the, “Stone marker is located north of the Chickamauga Battlefield in Ft. Oglethorpe, GA along the Old LaFayette Road”. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Oglethorpe GA 30742, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tennessee C.S.A. Cavalry (here, next to this marker); Armstrong's Division - Forrest's Cavalry Corps. Hospitals, Left Wing, Union Army. (within shouting distance of this marker); Armstrong's Brigade. (within shouting distance of this marker); Shaw's Tennessee Battery (within shouting distance of this marker); Dibrell's Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); 1st Georgia Cavalry (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Forrest's Pursuit (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Oglethorpe.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the monument is, “1'6" wide x 1' deep x 3' high, the marker is a rectangular block of smooth-faced Tennessee gray marble inscribed on the front. Marks these units' position on September 20, 1863, at 11:00 a.m.”
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 21, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 358 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 21, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.