Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Grimes in Colusa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Grand Island Shrine

 
 
Grand Island Shrine Commemorative Plaques image. Click for full size.
By Alvis Hendley, September 25, 2006
1. Grand Island Shrine Commemorative Plaques
Inscription. Site of the first Catholic mass to be said in Colusa County, May 1856. In 1864, a Catholic mission was conducted and a large wooden cross erected to commemorate the occasion. Masses, pilgrimages and visits were made here continuously thereafter. In order to preserve the identity of the place, Father Michael Wallrath secured a deed from Mrs. Anna Myers to this parcel of land and constructed a small shrine from hand kilned bricks in 1883.

State of California
Point of Historical Interest
No. COL-001
(Marker Number COL-001.)
 
Location. 39° 6.937′ N, 121° 56.228′ W. Marker is near Grimes, California, in Colusa County. Marker is on California Route 45 0.3 miles south of Buster Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grimes CA 95950, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Our Lady of Lourdes Church (approx. 7.6 miles away); I.O.O.F. Building (approx. 7.8 miles away); Colusa Union High School (approx. 7.8 miles away); Colusa County Courthouse (approx. 7.8 miles away); Carnegie Library
Little Shrine Commemorative Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Alvis Hendley, September 25, 2006
2. Little Shrine Commemorative Plaque
This plaque is on the outside wall of the shrine beside the door.
(approx. 7.8 miles away); Judge H. M. Albery House (approx. 7.8 miles away); Will Semple Green House (approx. 7.8 miles away); Adelade M. Ryerson House--1906 (approx. 7.9 miles away).
 
More about this marker. A National Register of Historic Places plaque sits below the Grand Island Shrine marker.
 
Regarding Grand Island Shrine. A supplemental placard reads:

Welcome to the Site of Our Lady of Sorrows.

Site of the first Eucharist celebrated in Colusa County in May, 1856, Rev. Peter Magagnotto, C. P., presiding.

The present cross, erected by the Knights of Columbus, replaces the one first erected here in 1864. The shrine itself was built by Rev. Michael Wallrath, the first pastor of Our Lady of Lourdes Parish.

The Eucharist is celebrated here on the last Sunday of April and on Thanksgiving Day (weather permitting).

You are welcome to pray here. Any other activity is allowed only by permission of Our Lady of Lourdes Parish, Colusa.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Notable EventsSettlements & Settlers
 
Grand Island Shrine Commemorative Plaques image. Click for full size.
By Alvis Hendley, September 25, 2006
3. Grand Island Shrine Commemorative Plaques
Little Shrine on Grand Island image. Click for full size.
By Alvis Hendley, September 25, 2006
4. Little Shrine on Grand Island
The Restored Cross image. Click for full size.
By Alvis Hendley, September 25, 2006
5. The Restored Cross
The original cross of 1864 was restored by the Knights of Columbus in 1924.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 12, 2008, by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California. This page has been viewed 2,512 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 12, 2008, by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement