Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Courthouse

 
 
Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, December 8, 2012
1. Courthouse Marker
Inscription. Williamson County's first courthouses, one log, one brick, were in the center of the square. This the third, completed in 1858 under the supervision of John W. Miller, is one of seven antebellum courthouses in Tennessee. The four iron columns were smeltered at Fernvale and cast at a Franklin foundry. It was used as Federal headquarters during the Civil War and served as a hospital after the Battle of Franklin. The interior was remodeled in 1937, 1964, and 1976. The annex was added in 1976.
 
Erected 1976 by Williamson County Historical Society.
 
Location. 35° 55.487′ N, 86° 52.134′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 31) and 3rd Avenue South, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Located on the Public Square. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin TN 37064, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Union Headquarters (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ewen Cameron (about 600 feet away); Masonic Temple (about 600 feet away); St. Philip Catholic Church (about 600 feet away);
Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, December 8, 2012
2. Courthouse Marker
John H. Eaton (about 600 feet away); Original St. Philip Catholic Church (about 600 feet away); Lot 60 at the Corner of Cameron & Church Street / "Bucket of Blood" Neighborhood (about 700 feet away); 430 Main Street (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, December 8, 2012
3. Courthouse Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 9, 2012, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 282 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 9, 2012, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement