College Park in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
College Park Airport: “Oldest Continually Operated in the World”
—First Military Airﬁeld in the United States —
The following notable events occurred on this airfield:
• 1907 – Early aeronautical experiments by Rex Smith and others
• 1908 – Oct. 8, Wilbur Wright instructed first flying officers of the Signal Corps, U.S. Army
• 1909 – Oct. 29, Mrs. Ralph H. Van Demon first woman passenger in America
• 1911 – July 3, First army flying school established
• 1912 – First flight surgeon, Lt. John P. Kelly
• 1912 – First group cross country flight originated here, first long distance flight – 42 miles, destination, Chevy Chase, MD.
- First bombs dropped from an aircraft utilizing a bombsight
- First machine guns fired from an aircraft
- Early experimentation with radio signals sent from an aircraft
- Altitude records set by Lt. “Hap” Arnold, 6450 feet.
• 1918 - Aug. 12, Washington terminus, first regular airmail service
• 1920 – Early helicopter experiments by Emile Berliner
• 1922 – First successful flight of a helicopter by Henry Berliner
• 1933 – First “blind flying“ cross country flight by James Kinney and Harry Diamond
Prince George’s County Historical Society
Funded by National Aerospace Educational Memorial Center, Inc., 1976
Location. 38° 58.806′ N, 76° 55.435′ W. Marker is in College Park, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on Cpl. Frank S. Scott Drive north of Paint Branch Parkway. Touch for map. Marker is at the end of Cpl. Frank S. Scott Drive - on the lawn near the flag pole, north of the airport parking lot and west of the College Park Aviation Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1909 Cpl. Frank S. Scott Drive, College Park MD 20740, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. College Park Airport (within shouting distance of this marker); General Aviation (approx. 0.2 miles away); Airmail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Army Aviation School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Michael Singer (approx. ¼ mile away); Taliaferro House (approx. ¼ mile away); City of College Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Patrick Zentz (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in College Park.
Regarding College Park Airport: “Oldest Continually Operated in the World”. ... The Army's Signal Corps Aviation School relocated the Curtiss airplane group from its original location at College Park, Maryland, to North Island [San Diego, CA.] during November to December
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . .
1. College Park Aviation Museum. (Submitted on November 3, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Corporal Frank S. Scott. - the first enlisted man to lose his life in an air accident, was killed at College Park, Md., Sept. 28,1912, while flying as a passenger with 2nd Lt. Lewis G. Rockwell, ... (Submitted on November 3, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
3. 2nd. Lt. Lewis Rockwell. Lieutenant Rockwell, the pilot during the crash that killed Corporal Scott, himself died of his injuries the next day. The Signal Corps Aviation School at North Island (San Diego), California was named Rockwell Field in his honor. [Scott Air Force Base in Illinois was named for his passenger, Corporal Scott.] (Submitted on December 6, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Corporal Frank S. Scott; U.S. Army College Park Flying Field; Lt. Lewis Rockwell.
Categories. • Air & Space • Military • Notable Persons • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 3, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 562 times since then and 23 times this year. Last updated on December 15, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 3, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.