Ogallala and the Platte Valley
Nearby Ogallala was a wild and woolly cowtown from 1875 to 1885 when it was the northern terminus of the Texas Trail. Located on the Union Pacific Railroad, the town was a shipping point for great herds of Texas Longhorns, and the chief gateway to the newly opened ranges of the Northern Plains. Boot Hill, which still survives, was the final resting place for many who helped make Ogallala the Cowboy Capital of Nebraska.
Erected by Nebraska Department of Roads/Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 97.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Court House Rock, Chimney Rock and Scott’s Bluffs (here, next to this marker); Ash Hollow (here, next to this marker); The Great Platte River Road (approx. 6 miles away); a different marker also named The Great Platte River Road (approx. 6 miles away); End of the Texas Trail (approx. 6 miles away); Highways 26 and 92 (approx. 6 miles away); Standard Oil Gas Station (approx. 6 miles away); The Pony Express (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ogallala.
Also see . . . The Platte River Road - Nebraska Studies. "The beginnings of the Oregon Trail in Nebraska were made in 1813 by the little band of traders from Astoria in the Oregon Territory. The party, headed by Robert Stuart, was returning to St. Louis. They tramped their weary way down the Platte Valley." (Submitted on December 18, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 18, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 339 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 18, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.