Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bethesda in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

National Naval Medical Center in the 1940ís

 
 
National Naval Medical Center in the 1940ís Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, December 15, 2012
1. National Naval Medical Center in the 1940ís Marker
Inscription.
President Franklin Delano Roosevelt selected this site on July 5, 1938. At the time, the site was a cabbage patch on a run down farm. This property was originally part of the “Clagettsí Purchase” recorded in 1715. The original 772 acre tract has been subdivided and sold to various people over the years. The U.S. Government during 1938 and 1939 purchased 8 tracts of land which is now the site of the National Naval Medical Center campus. National Naval Medical Center is now located on 242 acres and is known as the “Flagship of Navy Medicine.” The Tower, Building 1, was dedicated on August 31, 1942.

Photos of FDR at the dedication of Building 1 and of a rural landscape dominated by the new hospital facilities.
 
Erected by U.S. Navy.
 
Location. 39° 0.11′ N, 77° 5.72′ W. Marker is in Bethesda, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Wood Road (Maryland Route 355) east of Rockville Pike/Wisconsin Ave.. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8901 Wisconsin Ave., Bethesda MD 20889, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Spring House & Pool of Bethesda (within shouting distance of this marker); National Naval Medical Center
Walter Reed National Military Medical Center [formerly, the <i>National Naval Medical Center</i>] image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, December 15, 2012
2. Walter Reed National Military Medical Center [formerly, the National Naval Medical Center]
The Marker is visible, lower right - against the retaining wall at the base of the flag pole. The Tower, Building 1 is visible on the hill, upper right
(within shouting distance of this marker); "All are Welcome to the Healing Plaza" (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Walter Reed Memorial (about 700 feet away); Walter Reed Monument (about 700 feet away); The Centennial Anchor (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Louis Stokes Laboratories (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tree of Hippocrates (approx. 0.4 miles away but has been reported missing). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bethesda.
 
Also see . . .
1. History of the Medical Department of the U.S. Navy in World War II. (Submitted on December 19, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Walter Reed National Military Medical Center [est. November 11, 2011]. (Submitted on December 19, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
 
Additional keywords. U.S. Navy: U.S. Marine Corps; USNH Beth; Walter Reed National Military Medical Center; Joint Force Headquarters National Capital Region (JFHQ-NCR); FDR
 
Categories. MilitaryNotable PlacesScience & MedicineWar, World II
 
The "National Naval Medical Center in the 1940ís" marker, on the stand to the left image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, December 15, 2012
3. The "National Naval Medical Center in the 1940ís" marker, on the stand to the left
- together with another of the Department of the Interior's "Register of Historic Places" markers, recognizing the Center's landmark Tower Building - on its stand to the right.
The National Military Medical Center flag pole, viewed from Building One image. Click for full size.
By Grace C. Miller, December 15, 2012
4. The National Military Medical Center flag pole, viewed from Building One
with the campus of the National Institutes of Health visible across the Rockville Pike [MD 355] at the bottom of the hill.
"Naval Medical Center, Washington, DC - Main Building Group, Looking Southeast, December 12, 1941" image. Click for full size.
December 21, 2013
5. "Naval Medical Center, Washington, DC - Main Building Group, Looking Southeast, December 12, 1941"
Historical photo on display in the Navy Exchange dining room at today's Walter Read National Military Medical Center.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 18, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 403 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 18, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.   4. submitted on December 19, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.   5. submitted on December 29, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement