Jefferson City in Cole County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Soldiers’ Memorial Plaza
Courage • Sacriﬁce • Education • Equality • Humanity
Officers and Soldiers
62nd and 65th
Lincoln University was founded by the black enlisted men of the 62nd and 65th United States Colored Infantries and their white officers who fought for the cause of the Union during the Civil War. The black soldiers of these two regiments were the victims of an 1847 Missouri law that prohibited blacks from learning to read and write. Amidst the horror of war, they were given the opportunity to rise above this obstacle when their white officers established informal classes for them. As the war came to a close, the men dreamed of sharing the gift of education with other blacks in Missouri. They resolved to establish a school in their home state dedcated to teaching freed blacks.
Towards the end of the war, the men began to solicit funds to accomplish this dream. With some donating as much as a year's salary to the cause, they were able to collet more than $6,000. Their efforts resulted in the establishment of a school that they located in Jefferson City, Missouri, and named Lincoln Institute. Richard
With the deeding of its property to the state in 1879, Lincoln Institute formally became a state institution. Later, under the Second Morrill Act of 1890, the school becme a land-grant institution. In 1921, the Missouri Legislature passed a bill introduced by Walthall M. Moore, the first African American to serve in that body, which expanded the school's mission and changed its name to Lincoln University. The North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools accredited the high school division in 1925, the teacher-training program in 1926, and the four-year college of arts and sciences in 1934. Graduate instruction was added in the summer session of 1940.
During the next four decades, Lincoln University surpassed all expectations, growing into a culturally rich and diverse institution. In 1954, when the United States Supreme Court made Brown v. the Board of Education the law of the land, Lincoln University opened its doors to all applicants meeting its
The construction of the
Soldiers' Memorial Plaza
was inspired by
the vision of
Dr. David B. Henson
17th President of
Dedicated May 2, 2007
Ed Dwight, Sculptor
Erected 2007 by Lincoln University and the Lincoln University Foundation.
Location. 38° 33.859′ N, 92° 10.135′ W. Marker is in Jefferson City, Missouri, in Cole County. Marker is on Chestnut Street north of Atchison Street, on the left when traveling north. Memorial is on the Lincoln University campus. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 820 Chestnut Street, Jefferson City MO 65101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Missouri State Penitentiary Warden's House (approx. 0.6 miles away); James A. Houchin House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Judge J. C. Young House (approx. 0.7 Young-Ewing House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Grace Episcopal Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Robert William Wells (approx. 0.7 miles away); Temple Beth El (approx. 0.7 miles away); Carnegie Library (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jefferson City.
Also see . . .
1. Lincoln University, Jefferson City MO. (Submitted on January 1, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. 62nd and 65th US Colored Infantry Regiments, Founders of Lincoln Institute. (Submitted on January 2, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • African Americans • Education • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Soldiers' Memorial Plaza.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 1, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 438 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on January 2, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.