Salem Maritime National Historical Site
—National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
The builder and first owner was a”slaughterer,” or butcher, Later, residents included a weaver, a shoreman, a tanner, and several seamen. One of the last owners was Sarah Narbonne, a seamstress, who operated a tiny “Cent Shop” in the lean-to on the side of the house. Their lives have all left traces, which recent archeological investigations have brought to light.
By 1760, a small brick-floored dairy in the backyard kept milk and cheese cool. Between 1780 and 1820, prosperous owners put up a handsome carriage house and narrowed the lean-to so a carriage could get past it.
In the 1870s, when the house hooked into city water mains, residents began filling their outmoded backyard wells with discards and trash. In all, the Narbonne lot has yielded more than 142,000 artifacts of middle-class in Salem.
Narbonne House in 1913 (photo to the right): 1. Original home (1672). 2. Gambrel-roof addition (1730s). 3. Lean-to (ca. 1800). 4. Carriage House (demolished 1965).
Location. 42° 31.349′ N, 70° 53.236′ W. Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Capt. John Hodges House - 1750 (within shouting distance of this marker); Privateer Warehouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Derby House (about 300 feet away); Home for Aged Women (about 400 feet away); The Custom House (about 400 feet away); Derby Wharf (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Derby Wharf (was about 400 feet away but has been reported missing. ); Central Wharf (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salem.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 11, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 270 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 11, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.