Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Redwood City in San Mateo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Solari Family Windmill

 
 
Solari Family Windmill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, January 2, 2013
1. Solari Family Windmill Marker
Inscription. This windmill was built in the 1880s on the Solari farm, located at Whipple Avenue and Old County Road in Redwood City.

It was move in the 1930s to the new family farm located on Manzanita Street near Middlefield Road and the railroad tracks, two blocks east of its present day location. It was again moved in 1990 as the property had been sold. To save the windmill from being demolished, it was disassembled and reconstructed on the grounds of the Garfield School and later disassembled again and stored at a Redwood City maintenance yard.

In May 2007, through the efforts of the City of Redwood City, Redwood City Parks and Recreation Department, and Redwood Parlor No. 66 Native Sons of the Golden West, the windmill was reassembled and refurbished at its present location in Union Cemetery, Redwood City.

The Solari Family Windmill is the last known functional windmill of its kind on the Peninsula.

George Solari, the last owner of the windmill was born in Redwood City on January 14, 1904 and lived on the family farms his entire life. He was a member of the Native Sons of the Golden West, Redwood Parlor No. 66, being initiated on July 17, 1924. He as an active member for 65 years, serving as Parlor President in 1945. George Solari passed on the Grand Parlor on High on March 29, 1998.
 
Erected
Solari Family Windmill and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, January 2, 2013
2. Solari Family Windmill and Marker
2009 by Native Sons of the Golden West, Redwood Parlor No. 66.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 37° 28.485′ N, 122° 13.351′ W. Marker is in Redwood City, California, in San Mateo County. Marker can be reached from Woodside Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. This marker is located in Union Cemetery near the Grand Army of the Republic section. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 Wooside Road, Redwood City CA 94061, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Solari Windmill (here, next to this marker); Grand Army of the Republic Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Union Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); In Memoriam George Edgar Filkins (within shouting distance of this marker); Diller's Island (approx. 0.7 miles away); Fire Station No. 1 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Redwood City War Memorial (approx. mile away); Alhambra Theater (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Redwood City.
 
Categories. Agriculture
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 18, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 318 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 18, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement