Wayne in Passaic County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Kipp – Nellis Farm
Kipp – Nellis Farm
Settled in 1723 by Cornelius and Eva Berdan Kipp.
The farm served the Preakness Valley area for 250 years.
The farmhouse, located across Nellis Drive, was built circa 1840 by Nicholas and Sophia Berry Kipp. The Kipp family cemetery is located across Valley Road.
Jacob and Ella Louise Ostrum Nellis bought the farm from Isaac Blaine in 1903. The high school, town hall, and library are now located on the Nellis Farm.
Descendants of Joseph & Kathryn MacDonald Nellis and Bird & Clara Louise Nellis Berdan placed this marker to commemorate the 150th anniversary of Wayne Township, April 12, 1997.
Location. 40° 55.702′ N, 74° 13.882′ W. Marker is in Wayne, New Jersey, in Passaic County. Marker is at the intersection of Valley Road and Nellis Drive, on the right when traveling south on Valley Road. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the Wayne Public Library. Marker is at or near this postal address: 461 Valley Road, Wayne NJ 07470, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Wayne Township (here, next to this marker); Samuel Van Saun House (approx. half a mile away); Van Saun House (approx. half a mile away); Colonel Theunis Dey (approx. 0.9 miles away); Washington Headquarters (approx. 0.9 miles away); American Encampment (approx. 2 miles away); Purple Heart Memorial (approx. 2 miles away); American Labor Museum (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wayne.
More about this marker. A picture of the Kipp – Nellis Farmhouse appears on the marker.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 27, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 280 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 27, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.