John Lincklaen of the Holland Land Company purchased a rectangular area of 64,000 acres and promoted settlement. In 1793, he founded Cazenovia village on Chittenango Creek, the outlet of the lake, and named it for Theophile Cazenove, the general agent of the company. This became an important stop for drovers and stage coach travellers on the western turnpike. In 1807, Lincklaen built "Lorenzo", a Georgian dwelling, which was followed by other fine residences in the Federal and Greek revival style. Situated on a beautiful lake, four miles in length, Cazenovia attracted summer residences and became a popular resort.
Location. 42° 55.467′ N, 75° 52.2′ W. Marker is in Cazenovia, New York, in Madison County. Marker is on U.S. 20, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located in public boat launch area at the end of the lake across from Lorenzo. Marker is at or near this postal address: Cazenovia Lake boat ramp, Cazenovia NY 13035, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Temperance House (approx. 3.2 miles away); Lateral Canal (approx. 8.3 miles away); Canaseraga (approx. 9.1 miles away); 1822-1911 (approx. 9.7 miles away); Grover Cleveland (approx. 10.1 miles away); Pool's Brook (approx. 10.7 miles away); Amelia Earhart (approx. 11.3 miles away); Seventh Day Baptist Church (approx. 11.3 miles away).
Regarding Cazenovia. http://villageofcazenovia.com/ (Village of Cazenovia)
Also see . . .
1. Lorenzo State Historic Site. (Submitted on February 19, 2013, by Nancy Mueller of LaFayette, New York.)
2. Village of Cazenovia. (Submitted on February 19, 2013, by Nancy Mueller of LaFayette, New York.)
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 16, 2013. This page has been viewed 343 times since then and 26 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on February 16, 2013, by Nancy Mueller of LaFayette, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.