Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fenwick Island in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The History of the Lighthouse

 
 
The History of the Lighthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 9, 2013
1. The History of the Lighthouse Marker
Inscription. The Fenwick Island Lighthouse was listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the Department of Interior in 1979 in recognition of its significance of the rich maritime history of Delaware.

In 1852, responding to pressure to improve the lighthouse service, Congress established a nine member Lighthouse board. The Board was responsible for putting Fenwick Island Lighthouse in service in 1858 with the latest lighthouse technology to warn ships of the dangerous Fenwick Shoals. The Bureau of Lighthouses replace the Board in 1910 and ran the service until 1931 when it was turned over to the US Coast Guard.

On September 12, 1981, after it was decommissioned by the Coast Guard, the Fenwick Island Lighthouse was acquired by the State of Delaware from the Federal Government through the General Services Administration as Historic Surplus Property. The management of the lighthouse was then immediately turned over to the private non-profit Friends of the Fenwick Island Lighthouse.
 
Location. 38° 27.076′ N, 75° 3.297′ W. Marker is in Fenwick Island, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Lighthouse Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fenwick Island DE 19944, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8
The History of the Lighthouse Marker among other markers image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 9, 2013
2. The History of the Lighthouse Marker among other markers
other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fenwick Island Lighthouse (here, next to this marker); Transpeninsular Line (here, next to this marker); Mason and Dixon Line-Survey Start (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named The Fenwick Island Lighthouse (a few steps from this marker); Eastern End of Transpeninsular Line Between Maryland and Three Lower Counties of Pennsylvania (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line in Maryland); Old Sound Methodist Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); Our Community's Role in World War II (third marker) (approx. 5.8 miles away); Our Community's Role in World War II (first marker) (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fenwick Island.
 
Also see . . .  Fenwick Island Lighthouse Station,. National Register Form. (Submitted on February 16, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 
 
Categories. Man-Made FeaturesWaterways & Vessels
 
The Lighthouse image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 9, 2013
3. The Lighthouse
The Keeper's House image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 9, 2013
4. The Keeper's House
The Lighthouse image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 9, 2013
5. The Lighthouse
The Lighthouse and Keepers' Houses image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 9, 2013
6. The Lighthouse and Keepers' Houses
Fenwick Island Lighthouse complex image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 9, 2013
7. Fenwick Island Lighthouse complex
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 16, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 303 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on February 16, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement