Rossville in Atascosa County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The first burial was that of Juana Chaves Navarro (1820-1874), wife of J.A.G. Navarro. Other pioneers who lived in this area before the founding of Rossville are buried here. Their family names include Alvarez, Bergara, Castanon, Cruz, Galindo, Gonzales, Tabberer, Tober, Riojas, and Stokes. Confederate veteran Clemente Galindo (1844-1881) and his wife Martha Goins Galindo (1845-1903) are buried here along with many of their descendants.
By the 1920s the road to the graveyard was often impassable, so John Ross was buried in the family plot at the Episcopal Church Cemetery (1 mi. E). His wife Maria Antonia is buried here, near their home site. Other Navarro, Chaves,
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4356.)
Location. 29° 5.555′ N, 98° 41.74′ W. Marker is in Rossville, Texas, in Atascosa County. Marker can be reached from Jenschke Lane 0.9 miles west of Farm to Market Road 476, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Poteet TX 78065, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rossville (approx. 0.9 miles away); Anchorage Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away); Sand Branch Baptist Church (approx. 4.2 miles away); Site of Jose Antonio Navarro Ranch Headquarters (approx. 4.2 miles away); Old Rock Baptist Church (approx. 6.9 miles away); Amphion and Amphion Cemetery (approx. 7½ miles away); Poteet (approx. 8.2 miles away); Benton City Cemetery (approx. 9.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rossville.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 10, 2013, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. This page has been viewed 483 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 10, 2013, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.