Greeneville in Greene County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Classic American La France
by the town of Greeneville and in
service from 1917 – 1965
This display building erected in
2006 by citizens of Greeneville.
Organized by a finance committee
Nancy Parvin Pam Smead
Jim Cansler Jim Loven
Bill Gass, Architect
( Second Marker : )
Nathanael Greene Museum
Home of “Old Hulda”
This Fire House and all the fire fighting
equipment are maintained by the Debusk
Junior Fire Fighters.
( Third Marker : )
Type 75 Pumper with 600 GPM rotary gear pump
Bought by the Town of Greeneville in 1917
6 Cylinders __________ 105 Horse Power
Low Gabled Hood _____ Stutz Type Radiator
Curved fenders fore and aft
Suction hose slung over the rear fender
Spread-winged replica of the American Eagle atop the bell
Fuel tank and chemical tank with hammered copper ends behind the seat
Normally pumped 750 gallons of water per minute
In service in Greeneville from 1917 - - 1965
The electric flashlight had not been invented when the fire truck was built so two kerosene lanterns were mounted near the rear grab rail.
Location. 36° 9.633′ Touch for map. Markers are located at the Nathanael Greene Museum. Marker is in this post office area: Greeneville TN 37744, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Greene County / Hawkins County (here, next to this marker); McKee Street "Flagship of Greeneville Mayoralty" (within shouting distance of this marker); Andrew Johnson Homestead (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Andrew Johnson National Historic Site (about 400 feet away); Preserving the President’s Legacy (about 400 feet away); The Home of the 17th President (about 400 feet away); Home of Andrew Johnson (about 400 feet away); The Homestead Grounds (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greeneville.
Categories. • 20th Century •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 23, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 290 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on March 23, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.