Near Concord in Appomattox County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 2003 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number K-152.)
Location. 37° 20.965′ N, 78° 58.298′ W. Marker is near Concord, Virginia, in Appomattox County. Marker is on Richmond Highway (U.S. 460) just east of Village Highway (Virginia Route 24), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. It is at the Campbell County line. Marker is in this post office area: Concord VA 24538, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Appomattox County / Campbell County (a few steps from this marker); Oxford Furnace (approx. 4.3 miles away); Col. Vincent W. “Squeek” Burnett (approx. 5.3 miles away); Mount Athos (approx. 5.8 miles away); Surrender at Appomattox (approx. 6.3 miles away); The Last Fight (approx. 6.3 miles away); Buffalo Lick Plantation (approx. 6.9 miles away); Eldon (approx. 7.4 miles away).
More about this marker. This marker replaced a marker with the same name and title, but located at the old Route 460 alignment in Concord in Campbell County. It read “The first railroad train passed this station in 1854. In 1864, the station building and the Confederate commissary here were burned by the Union General Hunter.This was the extreme eastern limit of Hunterís raid.”
Regarding Concord Depot. The June 11th and June 14th dates mentioned on the marker were in 1864.
Also see . . .
1. Hunterís Operations.; Gen. Hunterís Order. Mosby Retaliates. A Raid on the South-Side Railroad (Submitted on March 31, 2013.)
2. Southside Railroad. Wikipedia entry. “The Southside Railroad from Petersburg west was a vital resource for the Confederacy as a supply line for Richmond and Petersburg during the American Civil War (1861–1865). Beyond the lines of battle until the war's last year, the principal damage it suffered was the financial weakness caused by Confederate compensation policies and currency. During the last year of the war, considerable damage was inflicted by both sides until the conflict finally ended near Appomattox Station on the Southside Railroad at Appomattox Courthouse in April 1865.” (Submitted on March 31, 2013.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 31, 2013, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 508 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 31, 2013, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.