Somers Point in Atlantic County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The three story brick home is constructed in the Flemish Bond Pattern---a style of brick laying that alternates headers (short ends of bricks) and stretchers (along sides of bricks) in a single course. One of the building’s outstanding features is the gambrel roof. Thought to have been constructed by a local shipwright, it resembles the upturned hull of a ship.
Through the years the house was expanded, more than doubling in size. It continued to be owned by generations of the Somers family until 1937 when it was deeded to the State of New Jersey as a lasting tribute to the original Somers family. At the family’s behest, it was restored to its original appearance. This was undertaken with assistance from the Works Progress Administration and dedicated in September 26, 1942.
Erected by NJ Department of Environmental Protection*Division of Parks and Forestry.
Location. 39° 18.582′ N, 74° 35.886′ W. Marker is in Somers Point, New Jersey Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Somers Point NJ 08244, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Getting Around Somers Point (here, next to this marker); Transportation (within shouting distance of this marker); Bay Avenue Night Life (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Anchorage (approx. 0.2 miles away); Shipbuilding (approx. 0.3 miles away); Burial Ground of Col. Richard Somers (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bass Harbor (approx. 0.6 miles away); U.S. Navy Commandant Richard Somers’ Birthplace (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Somers Point.
Also see . . . Somers Mansion - Somers Point Historical Society. (Submitted on April 12, 2013, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 10, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 477 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 10, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. 7. submitted on April 12, 2013. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.