Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Turner's Creek Landing in Kent County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Waterfront Hub for Trade

 
 
Waterfront Hub for Trade Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, April 6, 2013
1. Waterfront Hub for Trade Marker
Inscription. The "Settlement at Turner's Creek" was developed by Donaldson Yeats before the Revolutionary War. It was a hub for trade. At its peak, there was a shipyard, a tannery, a granary and a dock for shipping and receiving products. The Sassafras River provided a link to the Chesapeake Bay and markets beyond.


 
Location. 39° 21.452′ N, 75° 58.97′ W. Marker is in Turner's Creek Landing, Maryland, in Kent County. Marker is on Turners Creek Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at the end of Turners Creek Road. Marker is in this post office area: Kennedyville MD 21645, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Turner's Creek (here, next to this marker); Reluctant Aide (within shouting distance of this marker); Agricultural Demonstration Area / Historic Tree Grove (approx. 0.2 miles away); Natural Diversity at Turner's Creek (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Home with a Rich Past (approx. 0.2 miles away); Captain John Smith on the Sassafras River (approx. mile away); The Tockwogh and the Bay (approx. mile away); Welcome to the Kent Museum (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Turner's Creek Landing.
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
Waterfront Hub for Trade & Turner's Creek Markers image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, April 6, 2013
2. Waterfront Hub for Trade & Turner's Creek Markers
Picnic pavilion where Yeates House once stood.
The Lathim House image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, April 6, 2013
3. The Lathim House
served as a home and a store during the settlement's peak period
The Lathim House image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, April 6, 2013
4. The Lathim House
Note the square-log construction of the earliest section of the building (circa 1760-1770)
The Yeates House image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, April 6, 2013
5. The Yeates House
was located where the picnic pavilion not sits. This mid-18th century house was moved to Baltimore County in 1968 and was restored.
Granary image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, April 6, 2013
6. Granary
Local farmers used granaries to store corn or wheat until a ship could take the grains to market. The granary here at Turner's Creek was probably built in the 1870's and was used until the 1950's.
The Lathim House image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, April 6, 2013
7. The Lathim House
Granary image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, April 6, 2013
8. Granary
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 10, 2013, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 220 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on April 10, 2013, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement