Uvalde in Uvalde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Early Texas Wagon Yards
Drivers pulled into yards, cared for teams, found cooking and sleeping space. Men or families might stay for weeks, await kin or goods coming by train or stage. Amusements were practical jokes, gossip, games, music by fiddle, guitar, harmonica. Young boys overcame bashfulness, learned to dance, roller skate, whip bullies. The yard was center for trading goods and horses; obtaining advice on travel, work, weather. Some yards were stops for stages and freighters.
A block west of this site was wagon yard of F.A. Piper Company (predecessor of Horner's Store). Like many Texas merchants, Piper built and ran the wagon yard to aid customers, who used it free of charge.
Modern transportation has made the wagon yard a relic of the past, but it has a secure place in the history of pioneer days in Texas.
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1358.)
Marker series. San Antonio-El Paso Road marker series.
Location. 29° 12.58′ N, 99° 47.184′ W. Marker is in Uvalde, Texas, in Uvalde County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (U.S. 90) and Noth Getty Street (U.S. 83), on the right when traveling west on West Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Uvalde TX 78801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Inge, Camp Dix, C.S.A. (within shouting distance of this marker); Uvalde County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Uvalde County (within shouting distance of this marker); Grand Opera House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Kincaid Hotel (about 300 feet away); Reading Wood Black (about 400 feet away); Judge John Nance Garner (approx. 0.4 miles away); 1830 - Reading Wood Black - 1867 (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Uvalde.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 16, 2013, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 313 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 16, 2013, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.