Canandaigua in Ontario County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Historic Canandaigua Public Square
They donated this "Village Green" with the stipulation that it be used only for public purposes.
The stone fountain in this site, and the water pump enclosure in the north side of City Hall were designed by John Handrahan, who designed many of the gardens at Sonnenberg. The southeast corner was the site of Oliver Phelps' home and the Phelps/Gorham Land Office, believed to be the first land office in the U.S. City Hall, built as the second County Courthouse, was purchased by the town and Village in 1859. The marker on "Council Rock" commemorates the signing of the Canandaigua Treaty, also known as the Pickering Treaty between the Six Nations of the Iroquois and the United States of America in 1794.
U.S. Post Office - Erected 1920-1921 Land for this building was donated by Mrs. F.F. Thompson. The design for this structure was also drawn by her own architect, Francis R. Allen and his partner Charles Collins. The building was vacated by the USPS in 1991.
Atwater Park - Named for Moses Atwater, first physician in Canandaigua. The stone bandstand was erected in 1912 in memory of John Grieve. Designed by J. Foster Warner,
City Hall - Erected in 1824 was the second Courthouse of Ontario County. Purchased by Town and Village in 1858. Remodeled in 1878 and 1916. Restored to 1878 condition in 1991.
Ontario County Courthouse - Original Structure erected in 1857. Remodeled, with two wings added in 1908. A restoration project was completed in 1988. In 1873, Susan B. Anthony was tried and found guilty in this building of the crime of voting which at this time was illegal for women. She was fined 100 dollars, which she refused to pay.
Blossom House & the Canandaigua Hotel - The Blossom House stood here from 1814 until 1852. It was followed by the Canandaigua Hotel, which was built in 1853 and destroyed by fire in 1971. The site is now occupied by the Canandaigua Police Department.
Location. 42° 53.263′ N, 77° 16.862′ W. Marker is in Canandaigua, New York, in Ontario County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street (New York State Route 332) and Ontario Street on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Canandaigua NY 14424, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Last General Council of the United States (within shouting distance of this marker); 200 Years of Peace and Friendship (within shouting distance of this marker); City of Canandaigua (approx. 0.2 miles away); Granger Homestead (approx. ¾ mile away); Routes of the Armies of General John Sullivan and General James Clinton 1779 (approx. 0.9 miles away); Boathouse History (approx. 1.2 miles away); Squaw Island (approx. 1.2 miles away); Bee Sting Death (approx. 4½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canandaigua.
More about this marker. This is the only marker in the area which mentions the Trial of Susan B. Anthony.
Categories. • Civil Rights • Government • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 20, 2013, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. This page has been viewed 347 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 20, 2013, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.