Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
On this site
stood the house
James Edward Oglethorpe
when in Savannah.
His home he made
the better to protect
the young colony
Erected 1980 by The Georgia Society Of The Colonial Dames Of America.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Society of Colonial Dames of America marker series.
Location. 32° 4.848′ N, 81° 5.476′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is at the intersection of Bay Street and Bull Street, on the right when traveling east on Bay Street. Touch for map. Marker located at The United States Customs House. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. United States Customhouse (here, next to this marker); John Wesley (a few steps from this marker); The "John Randolph" (a few steps from this marker); The Savannah (a few steps from this marker); Savannah City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Central Railroad & Bank Bldg. Landing of Oglethorpe and the Colonists (within shouting distance of this marker); This is Yamacraw Bluff (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Also see . . . James Edward Oglethorpe (1696-1785). New Georgia Encyclopedia (Submitted on March 23, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 23, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,550 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on March 30, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 23, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.