Albany in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
In commemoration of the three hundredth anniversary of the founding in 1624 of the first permanent settlement of Albany, then known as Fort Orange, near the site of Fort Nassau built in 1614 and abandoned in 1617. With the establishment of Rensselaerswyck in 1630, Fort Orange became the trading center of the colony and was called the Fuyck. Subsequently the name of the village was changed to Beverwyck, 1652 - Albany, 1664 - Willemstadt, 1673 - Albany, 1674
Erected by the Albany Tercentenary Committee. Alfred Emanuel Smith, Governor William Stormont Hackett, Mayor - Honorary Chairmen William van Rensselaer Erving, Chairman. Isaac Henry Vrooman, Jr., Secretary. Harriet Langdon Pruyn Rice, Vice Chairman. Gerrit Yates Lansing, Treasurer.
Location. 42° 39.109′ N, 73° 45.282′ W. Marker is in Albany, New York, in Albany County. Marker is at the intersection of Eagle Street and Corning Place on Eagle Street. Touch for map. Marker is attached to City Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 24 Eagle Street, Albany NY 12207, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kilian Van Rensselaer (here, next to this marker); City Hall Carillon 200th Anniversary of Albany Charter (a few steps from this marker); The Kings Highway (within shouting distance of this marker); Schuyler Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); NYS Capitol & Albany City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Academy Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Frederick (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albany.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 4, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 2, 2013, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. This page has been viewed 1,110 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 2, 2013, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. 2. submitted on October 4, 2016, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.