Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Edmund Douglas Campbell
Edmund Douglas Campbell was born March 12, 1899, in Lexington, Virginia, the son of the dean of Washington and Lee University (W&L). He graduated as the valedictorian from W&L in 1918. By 1922, he had received a Master’s degree in economics from Harvard and graduated from the W&L School of Law.
Edmund Campbell moved to Northern Virginia, where he achieved success as a lawyer and civic activist. In June 1936, Edmund Campbell wed Elizabeth Pfohl. Together they would raise four children. He served as chairman of Arlington County’s first public utilities commission and as a member of the Arlington County Board (1940-1946). He was chairman of the county board in 1942 and 1946. In 1955, he helped found Arlingtonians for a Better County, a nonpartisan group that became a powerful political force in the county.
During the mid-to late-1950s, Edmund Campbell and his wife Elizabeth were instrumental in forming the Save Our Schools Committee, organized to fight Virginia’s policy of “massive resistance” to the U.S. Supreme Court desegregation decisions. In 1958, he argued the case in Federal court which resulted in Virginia’s massive resistance
In 1962, Edmund Campbell successfully argued to the United States Supreme Court that Northern Virginia localities, including Arlington and Fairfax, were illegally under- represented in the Virginia General Assembly. This case, along with others, resulted in the Court’s landmark “one man, one vote” decision that established equality of representation in state legislatures nationwide.
Edmund Campbell was president of the Washington, D.C. Bar Association (1961-1962), a member of the American Bar Association’s House of Delegates (1964-1970), and a member of the American Bar Association’s Board of Governors (1972-1975).
Edmund D. Campbell died on December 7, 1995, in Arlington. Following his death, The Washington Post stated: “In life, as in court, Ed Campbell fought injustice with a passion, insisting that freedom be accorded citizens without regard to color or belief.”
Erected 2009 by Arlington County.
Location. 38° 50.455′ N, 77° 5.395′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is on Campbell Avenue south of South Arlington Mill Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located at the entrance to the Shirlington Branch Library and Signature Theater. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4200 Campbell Avenue, Arlington VA 22206, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Elizabeth Pfohl Campbell (here, next to this marker); Margaret Elizabeth Pfohl Campbell (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Reynolds (approx. 0.3 miles away); Washington and Old Dominion Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tracks Into History (approx. 0.3 miles away); Nauck: A Neighborhood History (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fairlington (approx. 0.4 miles away); Battery Garesché (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
Categories. • Civil Rights • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 4, 2013, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia. This page has been viewed 437 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 4, 2013, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.