Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cherry Tree in Indiana County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Cherry Tree Monument

 
 
The Cherry Tree Monument Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, May 5, 2013
1. The Cherry Tree Monument Marker
Inscription. Historical importance began with the Indians as a way-station, known as Canoe Place, where water transportation ended and a woodland trail led westward to the Alleghenies. This event probably brought the first white man, a Frenchman, to this area.
The French claimed the inland territory by friendly possession and the English controlled the coastal territory by conquest.
The land, granted to William Penn and marked by the Purchase of 1768, was marked by a large wild black cherry tree. It was the corner boundary for three counties: Cambria, Clearfield, and Indiana.
In 1891, Vincent Tonkin began working on a monument honoring the purchase Penn had made from the Indians. The monument was approved in 1893. Robert Tonkin, J.R. Caldwell, and Harry Byers aided chief surveyor Harry Scanlin in finding the true location of the cherry tree.
The monument was designed by E.R. Carr and Company of Quincy, Massachusetts. John Davis and Albert Daugherty of Cherry Tree were chosen to build the sandstone foundation.
The Monument was unveiled on November 5, 1894. Porter Kinport was Master of Ceremonies for the occasion, which included the presence of Governor James A. Beaver. The monument was uncovered by Maxie Elizabeth Tonkin.
The Cherry Tree Civic Club, formed in 1914 by Mrs. Thomas Parry, is in charge of maintaining the monument
The Cherry Tree Monument Description image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, May 5, 2013
2. The Cherry Tree Monument Description
This Monument
Erected to mark Canoe Place
The Corner of the Proprietaries Purchase from the Indians by the Treaty at Fort Stanwix N.Y.
November 5, 1786
grounds.
 
Erected 1987.
 
Location. 40° 43.476′ N, 78° 48.376′ W. Marker is in Cherry Tree, Pennsylvania, in Indiana County. Marker can be reached from Maple Street (Pennsylvania Route 580) 0.1 miles east of Penn Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cherry Tree PA 15724, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cpl. Warren J. Shepherd (approx. 1.2 miles away); George Atcheson (approx. 5.9 miles away); Dedicated to the 77 Men (approx. 6 miles away); Hastings UMWA - District 2 Labor Chautauquas (approx. 6.5 miles away); John Ludwig Snyder (approx. 8.8 miles away); Last Raft (approx. 9 miles away); Dr. Lawrence F. Flick (approx. 10.8 miles away); McGee's Mills Covered Bridge (approx. 11 miles away).
 
Categories. Native AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
The Cherry Tree Monument - Cambria Side image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, May 5, 2013
3. The Cherry Tree Monument - Cambria Side
The Cherry Tree Monument image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, May 5, 2013
4. The Cherry Tree Monument
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 5, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 427 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 5, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement