Old Lyme in New London County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
As early as the 1640’s settlers from Saybrook cleared and planted land on the east side of the Connecticut River in what is now Old Lyme. The first recorded grant of land, in 1649, was to Matthew Griswold in the Black Hall quarter. By 1665 the inhabitants on the east bank, “… desiring to be a plantation by themselves: doe declare that they have a competency of Lands to entertaine thirty families”. And agreed with those on the west bank upon a “loving parting” by which a separate community was established. Two years later the General Court of Connecticut ordered that “… ye Plantation on ye East side ye River over agt Say-brooke for ye future be named Lyme.” The settlement, some eighty square miles, included the present towns of Old Lyme, East Lyme, Lyme and part of Salem. The General Court gave consent to Lyme in 1678 to found a church society, which was not formally organized for fifteen years.
( North face )
Meeting House Hill, east of Duck River, was the site of two 17th century meetinghouses and one of the 18th. Samuel Belcher designed a fourth, built in 1817, to face the green at the south end of Lyme Street. After it burned in 1907, a replica became as favored a subject for artists as was the original. Seaborne trade began in 1650 with exportation of barrel staves on
Erected by the Town of Old Lyme
the Lyme Historical Society
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
Location. 41° 19.055′ N, 72° 19.784′ W. Marker is in Old Lyme, Connecticut, in New London County. Marker is at the intersection of Lyme Street and High School Road, on the left when traveling north on Lyme Street. Touch for map. Located in front of Old Lyme Town Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 52 Lyme Street, Old Lyme CT 06371, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Lyme Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); American Legion Post 113 Memorial Old Saybrook (approx. 2.4 miles away); Old Saybrook World War I Monument (approx. 3.1 miles away); Old Saybrook Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.1 miles away); It Happened Here! (approx. 3.7 miles away); Warship Oliver Cromwell (approx. 3.7 miles away); a different marker also named Old Saybrook (approx. 3.8 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Town of Old Lyme. (Submitted on May 7, 2013, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Old Lyme, Connecticut on Wikipedia. (Submitted on May 7, 2013, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 7, 2013, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 271 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 7, 2013, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.