Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Wayne in Allen County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Camp Allen 1861-64

Civil War Mustering-In Camp

 
 
Camp Allen 1861-64 Marker image. Click for full size.
Indiana Historical Bureau
1. Camp Allen 1861-64 Marker
Inscription. Colonel Hugh B. Reed served as first Commandant. Here the 30th, 44th, 74th, 88th, and 100th Indiana Regiments and the 11th Indiana Battery were organized.
 
Erected 1963 by Indiana Civil War Centennial Commission. (Marker Number 02.1963.1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
 
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 41° 4.594′ N, 85° 9.487′ W. Marker was in Fort Wayne, Indiana, in Allen County. Marker was at the intersection of Center Street and Huron Street, on the left when traveling south on Center Street. Touch for map. Marker was at entrance to Camp Allen Park. Marker was in this post office area: Fort Wayne IN 46808, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this location, measured as the crow flies. Site of the Fort Wayne College (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); "Johnny Appleseed" (approx. mile away); Old Aqueduct Club Memorial (approx. mile away); Wabash and Erie Canal Groundbreaking (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Miamis (approx. half a mile away);
Camp Allen 1861-64 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, May 7, 2013
2. Camp Allen 1861-64 Marker
Approximate location of missing marker
The First French Fort / The First Playground in Fort Wayne (approx. half a mile away); Lindenwood Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Richardville (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Wayne.
 
Additional comments.
1. History of Camp Allen
From the Fort Wayne Parks & Recreation website:

"Before its purchase in 1912, Camp Allen Park was a rendezvous point and training ground for Union soldiers during the Civil War. One of those regiments, the Thirtieth, was commanded by Colonel Sion S. Bass, one of Fort Wayne's most famous Civil War heroes. Camp Allen takes its name from Colonel John Allen, an attorney, close associate of famed American statesmen Henry Clay and a distinguished soldier who fought in the Fort Wayne area during the War of 1812."
    — Submitted May 7, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.

2. Indiana Historical Bureau Review
The Indiana Historical Bureau in 2010 prepared a preliminary report reviewing the marker for accuracy and relevance. Their preliminary report states:

"Newspaper
Entrance to Camp Allen Park image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, May 7, 2013
3. Entrance to Camp Allen Park
sources and the 1865 Report of the Adjunct General substantiate all the information on this marker, except for the date in the title line which suggests that Camp Allen was in use until 1864. Although an extensive search was made of the Fort Wayne newspapers for 1864 it could not be proved, nor disproved, that the camp was still in operation at that date. However, the report did mention that the 142nd Indiana Regiment was recruited in July 1864, and rendezvoused at Fort Wayne; seems likely that this occurred at Camp Allen."
    — Submitted May 7, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.

 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 7, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 681 times since then and 77 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 7, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement