Cebu City, Cebú Province, Philippines
The Cross of Magellan
Santo Niņo de Cebú
From time immemorial this spot has been set aside to commemorate the erection of a Cross in Cebu by the expedition of Magellan. When King Humabon of Cebu and his Queen, son and daughters, together with some 800 of their subjects were baptized by Father Pedro Valderrama. This hallowed site was improved in 1735 by Rev. Juan Albarran. Prior of San Agustin and in 1834 by Rt. Rev. Santos Gomez Maroņon, Bishop of Cebu. The image of the Santo Niņo found by the expedition of Legaspi in a house near the present site of the Cathedral of Cebu is venerated by the faithful in the nearby Church of San Agustin.
This Cross of Tindalo wood encases the original Cross. Planted Ferdinand Magellan on this very site April 21, 1521
Erected 1941 by Philippines Historical Committee.
Location. 10° 17.613′ N, 123° 54.116′ E. Marker is in Cebu City, Cebú Province. Marker is on Plaza Sugbo just north of City Hall Lane. Touch for map. Plaza Sugbo is south of the Basilica Minor del Santo Niņo complex, and it blocks Magallanes Street between D. Jakosalem Street on the west and P. Burgos Street on the east. The Basilica itself is accessible from the north via
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort San Pedro (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Antonio Pigafetta (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); 400 Years of Continuing OAR Presence (approx. half a kilometer away).
Regarding The Cross of Magellan. Text from marker at the Basilica Minore del Santo Niņo - which was inaccessible for photography when visited on Jan. 20, 2013:
Š Copyright www.santoninodecebu.org. The Santo Nino De Cebu Association,
Also see . . . Santo Niņo de Cebu. (Submitted on March 26, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Sinulog; Santo Niņo de Cebú; Basilica Minore del Santo Niņo; Ati Atihan; Age of Discovery
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Exploration • Notable Events •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 24, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 904 times since then and 31 times this year. Last updated on May 21, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 24, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 5. submitted on August 28, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 6. submitted on March 29, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.