San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Ludwig Mahncke was close friends with businessman and philanthropist George W. Brackenridge, and in 1899 he encouraged Brackenridge to donate to the city a tract of 199 acres along the San Antonio River, to be used as a park. As parks commissioner, the development of the site, later known as Brackenridge Park, fell to Mahncke, and he was directed to open the park immediately. Though he was first given a budget of only $2,500, he quickly developed a plan to create a "driving park," and seven miles of roads were designed and constructed. A fenced deer preserve was built by 1902, and by 1906 the menagerie included buffalo, elk, goats, sheep and fowl.
While Brackenridge Park was Mahncke's most well-known accomplishment, he was also responsible for landscaping many public areas throughout
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16381.)
Location. 29° 27.486′ N, 98° 28.1′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is at the intersection of Broadway Street (State Highway 368), on the left when traveling south on Broadway Street. Touch for map. Located in Mahncke Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3400 Broadway, San Antonio TX 78209, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Alamo Portland and Roman Cement Company (approx. half a mile away); Tether Wall (approx. 0.8 miles away); Sam Houston House (approx. 0.9 miles away); M-1905 Field Gun (approx. one mile away); M-56 Howitzer 105mm Towed (Yugoslavia) (approx. one mile away); Ft. Sam Houston Quadrangle and Staff Post (approx. 1.1 miles away); M-59 Armored Personnel Carrier (approx. 1.1 miles away); M-48 Medium Tank 90mm "Patton" (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
More about this marker. The marker's unveiling on 4/30/2011 was sponsored by Ludwig Mahncke's great-granddaughter, Mary Anita Dittmar Calvert and her husband, James Calvert. Mrs. Calvert's grandmother, Anna Mahncke Deutz, donated the adjoining fountain to the City of San Antonio in 1964.
Categories. • Animals • Environment • Horticulture & Forestry • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 7, 2013, by Scott J. Frisch of San Antonio, Texas. This page has been viewed 454 times since then and 85 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 7, 2013, by Scott J. Frisch of San Antonio, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.