Near Murphreesboro in Rutherford County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Sheridan Saves the Day
At dawn the Confederates struck. Whole regiments in blue dissolved. Thousands turned and ran. Sheridan kept his men under tight control as they pulled back, one regiment at a time. Here Sheridan held the line for two hours—battling until they had no more bullets. Sheridan's skill and will to fight bought General Rosecrans enough time to put the rattled, retreating units into a strong new battle line near Nashville Pike.
"There was no sign of faltering with the men, the only cry being for more ammunition, which unfortunately could not be supplied." - Philip Sheridan, brigadier general, commanding 3rd Division, right wing
Erected by Stones River National Battlefield - National Park Service - Department of the Interior.
Location. 35° 52.053′ N, 86° 25.921′ W. Marker is near Murphreesboro, Tennessee, in Rutherford County. Touch for map. Marker is on a trail leading off from Park Road. The marker is located just past the "Slaughter Pen" limestone outcrops. The view south is fields and woods bordered by the Wilkinson Pike about 700 feet away. Marker is in this post office area: Murfreesboro TN 37129, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Boys, you must get out of here! You are surrounded! (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Abandoned Artillery (was about 300 feet away but has been reported missing. ); Sheridan's Stand (about 300 feet away); Michigan (about 600 feet away); December 31, 1862 (about 600 feet away); Donelson’s Brigade at Murfreesboro (approx. half a mile away); Chalmers’ Brigade at Murfreesboro (approx. half a mile away); Cotton Field – "No Man's Land" (approx. half a mile away).
Regarding Sheridan Saves the Day. The background of the text is a painting "Sheridan Saves the Day" by Andy Thomas and is captioned "December 31, 1862 - mid-morning"
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 11, 2013, by David Graff of Halifax, Nova Scotia. This page has been viewed 342 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 11, 2013, by David Graff of Halifax, Nova Scotia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.