West Milford in Passaic County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Ringwood Furnaces at Hewitt
† † † The outbreak of the Civil War awakened the industrial power of the Northern States. The Cooper & Hewitt Iron Company built the “Gun Metal Furnace” on the Wanaque River in 1862 to supply iron for the manufacture of rifles and other ordnance for the Union Army. A second furnace was completed by 1863. Though later converted to burning coal, these furnaces closed in 1882.
† † † Abram S. Hewitt directed production. The Hewittís summer home at Ringwood Manor was headquarters to all of Long Pondís ironmasters.
Erected by New Jersey Division of Parks and Forestry.
Location. 41° 8.747′ N, 74° 18.678′ W. Marker is in West Milford, New Jersey, in Passaic County. Marker can be reached from Greenwood Lake Turnpike, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located on a trail in the Long Pond Ironworks Historic District. Marker is in this post office area: West Milford NJ 07480, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First Furnace (a few steps from this marker); Hasenclever Iron Trail (a few steps from this marker); Water Power (within shouting distance of this marker); Water Wheel Pit Weighing Scale Remains (about 600 feet away); The Company Store (about 600 feet away); Long House Ruins (approx. 0.2 miles away); Steam Powered Sawmill Remains (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Milford.
More about this marker. The bottom of the marker contains “A photograph of the Long Pond Ironworks by C. Durand Chapman, circa 1894.” The upper right of the marker contains a portrait of Abram S. Hewitt (1822-1903).
Also see . . . The Friends of Long Pond Ironworks website. (Submitted on June 12, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 12, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 325 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 12, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.