Lowell in Middlesex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Street of Lightning
The continuing prosperity of industrial Lowell depended on efficient shipping of materials. Realizing this, the owners of Lowell’s textile corporations financed the Boston and Lowell Railroad. In 1887, it was merged into the Boston and Maine Railroad.
The original depot on this site was replaced in 1853, by a larger station that also held city offices and public halls for political debates, meetings, lectures, and entertainment. The arches replicate the entrance to the station which was destroyed by fire in 1904.
Dickens rides the Boston and Lowell…on, on, on-tears the mad dragon of an engine with its train of cars; scattering in all directions a shower of burning sparks from its wood fire; screeching, hissing, yelling, panting, until at last the thirsty monster stops beneath a covered way to drink
..Charles Dickens 1842.
(Inscription under the photo on the far right) Merrimack Street Depot, ca 1900-University of Massachusetts Lowell Center for Lowell History
Location. 42° 38.733′ N, Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lowell MA 01852, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Merrimack St. Depot (here, next to this marker); Steam Railroads In New England (within shouting distance of this marker); Irish Labor (within shouting distance of this marker); Debating Slavery (within shouting distance of this marker); The Worker (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Anne's Church (about 300 feet away); Homage to Women (about 500 feet away); Welcome to Lowell National Historical Park (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lowell.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 20, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 16, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 286 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 16, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.