Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Palmyra in Wayne County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Lake Stone House

 
 
Lake Stone House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Yugoboy, October 13, 2012
1. Lake Stone House Marker
Inscription. Martin Harris’s home was a one-and-a-half story white frame house, which stood on this site. When Martin moved away in 1831, it was occupied by William Chapman. That house burned down in 1849 and was replaced by the present lake-stone house, which dates from 1850.

Lake-stone buildings were first built in this area by English artisans who came here to work on the Erie Canal. After the canal was completed in 1825, they found employment by constructing stone houses. Approximately 700 of these structures were built in this part of the state.

Many of the stones for this house were hauled from the shores of Lake Ontario by wagon - often a two- or three-day trip because of the heavy load. The stones were then sorted and sized with the most uniform stones used for the front, the less desirable stones for the sides. and the least desirable ones for the back. lf you examine the house closely you can see the intricate trowel work around each stone. No interior tours are available, but please feel free to look around outside.
 
Location. 43° 5.016′ N, 77° 14.378′ W. Marker is in Palmyra, New York, in Wayne County. Marker is on Maple Avenue 0.1 miles south of Division Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2095 Maple Avenue, Palmyra NY 14522, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Lake Stone House image. Click for full size.
By Yugoboy, October 13, 2012
2. Lake Stone House
At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Martin Harris Farm (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Martin Harris Farm (here, next to this marker); First Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); First School House (approx. 1.3 miles away); World War I Mortar (approx. 1.4 miles away); Admiral William T. Sampson Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); Cumorah (approx. 1.4 miles away); Palmyra War Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palmyra.
 
Categories. Man-Made FeaturesSettlements & Settlers
 
Lake Stone House Marker approach from north image. Click for full size.
By Yugoboy, October 13, 2012
3. Lake Stone House Marker approach from north
Lake Stone House Marker approach from south image. Click for full size.
By Yugoboy, October 13, 2012
4. Lake Stone House Marker approach from south
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 17, 2013, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. This page has been viewed 222 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 17, 2013, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement