Dade City in Pasco County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The first bridge crossing the Withlacoochee River at this site was built in the 1850s by slaves belonging to James Lanier. Replaced several times during the following century, the bridge served lumber, turpentine and cattle operations along with several short-lived small towns including Ashley and Titanic. Some timbers from one of the early bridges remain in the river about 100 yards downstream. During the Second Seminole War, Old Tiger Tail, a prominent War Chief, had his camp in swamps near the east bank of the river. About 1900 the Campbell family operated a cypress shingle factory on the west side of the river north of the bridge. During prohibition, many illicit whiskey stills operated in the area. Two revenue agents were murdered nearby after failing to heed the local sheriff's warning: "Don't go beyond the Lanier Bridge." Men suspected of murder were killed in a gunfight shortly afterward and their bodies displayed to the public in Dade City.
In the early 1920s Cummer Cypress Company acquired over 50 square miles in eastern Pasco County, including most of the river south and east of Lacoochee. A company town, Cumpressco,
Erected 2001 by The Pasco County Board of County Commissioners, The Pasco County Historical Preservation Commission and The Southwest Florida Water Management District.
Location. 28° 20.962′ N, 82° 7.682′ W. Marker is in Dade City, Florida, in Pasco County. Marker is on Withlacoochee Boulevard 0.1 miles south of River Road (U.S. 98\301), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. From Dade City, Florida, take US98/US301 to River Road and head east 4.7 miles. Turn right on Auton Road (before the current Lanier Bridge). One tenth of a mile on left, enter the Withlacoochee River Park. The marker is just inside the park gate on the
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Atlantic Coast Line Depot (approx. 3.6 miles away); Dade City Atlantic Coast Line Depot (approx. 3.6 miles away); Former St. Rita's Catholic Church (approx. 3.6 miles away); Site of World War II Prisoner of War Camp (approx. 3.7 miles away); Dade City Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away); Jones' Nursing Home (approx. 3.9 miles away); Pasco County (approx. 3.9 miles away); Mount Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dade City.
More about this marker. The original placement of the marker was on the northwest corner of the present day Lanier Bridge. It was later moved inside the Withlacoochee River Park to curb vandalism.
Regarding Lanier Bridge. James Lanier: Lanier was born in 1799 in Georgia. By the late 1840's he and his family lived in, what was then, Benton County in the Buddy's Lake Settlement. While Lanier was a slaveholder, he most likely contracted additional laborers from family or neighbors to help construct the bridge.
Prohibition: On October 4, 1922, Pasco County Deputy Sheriff Arthur Fleece Crenshaw and United States Prohibition Agent John Van Waters were ambushed and killed while returning from an investigation into a robbery and search for bootleg liquor. Seven men were arrested and two stood trial for the murder of the officers. Preston Overstreet and his cousin Paul Overstreet, were both acquitted of the crime by December 16, 1922.
Just over two years later, on February 25, 1925, Pasco County Deputy Sheriff C.C. Walker and a young man named Hancock were investigating three moonshine stills three miles south of the Lanier Bridge. Upon hearing an
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 27, 2013, by Dean Moss McCracken of Lakeland, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,010 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 27, 2013, by Dean Moss McCracken of Lakeland, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.