Waterford in New London County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Farm lots were allocated to individual colonists in 1651 and in 1653 a sawmill site and house lot were designated on Hunts Brook in Quaker Hill. The Jordan area was first mentioned in 1663 and Jordan Schoolhouse in 1737.
Waterford gave thousands of acres to help form East Lyme in 1839 and two square miles were taken for New London by legislative action in 1899, leaving the present area of 36.7 square miles.
Erected 1975 by Town of Waterford, the Waterford Historical Society and the Connecticut Historical Commission.
Location. 41° 20.683′ N, 72° 8.083′ W. Marker is in Waterford, Connecticut, in New London County. Marker is on Boston Post Road. Touch for map. Between Tiffany Avenue and Summer Street. Marker is in this post office area: Waterford CT 06385, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colombo (approx. 1.8 miles away); New London War Memorial (approx. 1.8 miles away); Nathan Hale (approx. 1.9 miles away); New London War Dead 21st Regt. Conn. Vol. (approx. 1.9 miles away); Williams Memorial Park (approx. 1.9 miles away); Hempstead Historic District (approx. 1.9 miles away); Shaw Mansion (approx. 1.9 miles away).
Categories. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 4, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 314 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 4, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.