Taos in Taos County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Don Fernando de Taos Plaza
Spanish colonists settled at scattered locations in this valley beginning about 1615. The Don Fernando de Taos Land Grant given to 63 families in 1796 resulted in the establishment of this Plaza and the surrounding community. It became the most important settlement in the area outside of the ancient San Gerónimo de Taos Pueblo three miles north of here.
In the late 1700’s, families on the land grant built their homes and businesses around this plaza so that the windowless rear walls provided a secure defensive structure. There were strong gates at both ends. In times of war, when a threat was reported by outlying sentinels, livestock was brought into the plaza for safekeeping. A well in the center of the plaza provided water.
In peaceful times, the plaza served as a gathering place as it still does today, for church processions, political speeches, horse trading, music, assembly of militia, farmers market and small talk. Wagons probably didn’t reach Taos until the mid 1800s, and so for many years trains of pack animals were frequently seen on the plaza with trade goods such as furs being unloaded for inspection at the customs house, or local products being packed for trading with faraway destinations throughout the west.
As commerce grew, the plaza became the site for Taos’ early hotels, such as the Don Fernando and the
From time to time raging fires destroyed important buildings, and the replacements often changed the appearance of the plaza. In 1932 a new Taos County Courthouse was built after a fire destroyed an earlier court building and jail, along with other establishments on the north side. Today this Old Courthouse situated across the road behind you displays WPA murals by some of the early artists who helped make Taos a famous art colony.
Through the years as seen in these photographs, the town has changed many times, but the presence and spirit of olden days can still be felt.
Erected by Taos County Historical Society, 121 C North Plaza.
Location. 36° 24.438′ N, 105° 34.47′ W. Marker is in Taos, New Mexico, in Taos County. Marker is on Kit Carson Road (U.S. 64) west of Paseo Del Pueblo Sur, on the left. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Taos NM 87571, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Taos Plaza (within shouting distance of this marker); Padre Antonio José Martínez (within Don Fernando de Taos (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Taos (within shouting distance of this marker); Ledoux Street (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Taos (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Taos (approx. 2 miles away); Taos Canyon (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Taos.
More about this marker. This interpretative panel displays four photograph with the following captions:
Left, top: “This photo from about 1904 is looking east towards the Plaza along what is now Ranchitos Road. Each house had its own haystack as horse and wagon was the transport of the day. The tower of Guadalupe church is on the left. The church, built in the mid 1700's was demolished in 1911 due to crumbling walls. The rebuilt church burned down in 1961, and was replaced by a new church at a site farther north.”
Left, bottom: “Bad fires in the 1930s led to the incorporation of the Town of Taos, as well as the formation of the Taos Volunteer Fire Department. Through the years they have remained effective through training drills such as this one at the old courthouse in 1948. The 1930s engine is still a prized possession.”
Right, bottom: “SE corner of the Plaza about l904. Every year wagons loaded with wool assembled in a caravan and headed for the railheads in Colorado and shipment to Utah for processing. The Columbian Hotel seen in the background was on the site of the present day La Fonda.”
Also see . . . Our History. This page includes vintage photographs of Taos and Taos Plaza. “The name Taos was first inscribed in history by Juan Belarde, secretary to Don Juan de Onate in 1598, when he wrote, "this day, after mass, we went on to the province of the Taos which they also called Tayberon and others". He had heard the Picuris Indians pointing to the northeast, say that their relatives the "Tao" lived yonder. Subsequently, by 1760 the Village was named "Don Fernando de Taos" by the Spanish settlers. Historians believe the name is attributed to Captain Don Fernando de Chavez, one of the leading settlers prior to the rebellion, who owned the land currently knows as the Cristobal de la Serna land grant. Don Fernando never returned following the rebellion.” (Submitted on July 7, 2013.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 7, 2013, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 573 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 7, 2013, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on July 12, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.