San Gabriel in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
San Gabriel Mission
San Gabriel Mission was founded by Fr. Pedro Benito Cambon (statue above right) and Fr. Angel Fernandez de la Somera (statue above left) on Sept. 8, 1771 in nearby Montebello by the Rio Hondo River, and moved to this location in 1775. This mission's Cross above the entrance door was first installed about 1959, taken down for earthquake retrofit in early 1990's, was restored and rededicated on March 7, 2009 at 11 a.m. The El Camino Real bell in front of the church was cast, and then placed here on Aug. 15, 1906, by Los Angeles Section, El Camino Real Association.
Erected 2009 by El Camino Real Association.
Location. 34° 5.8′ N, 118° 6.392′ W. Marker is in San Gabriel, California, in Los Angeles County. Marker can be reached from South Mission Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 428 South Mission Drive, San Gabriel CA 91776, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named San Gabriel Mission (a few steps from this marker); Old Spanish Trail (a few steps from this marker); Mission San Gabriel Archangel / El Camino Real Door (a few steps Lt. Colonel Juan Bautista de Anza (a few steps from this marker); 1776 Overland Immigration Expedition (within shouting distance of this marker); Joseph Chapman’s Millrace (within shouting distance of this marker); Early California (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ramona Museum of California History (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Gabriel.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 14, 2013, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 611 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on July 14, 2013, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.